We had a really great lesson on Sunday. It was about Sister Beck's 3 categories of prioritization. They are: Essential, Necessary, and Nice to Do.
The past two days, I have given myself permission to set aside specific time to do my Essentials: Scripture study, prayer, and PONDERING. I have had very few times in my life when I have been able to sit down with a notebook in hand while I study.
It is awesome! It is like a daily planning session with the Lord!
I just jot things down as I think of them, and then I know what I am REALLY supposed to do that day.
What a difference!
The best part about it is: I didn't have to drag myself out of bed at the crack of dawn to do it!
Amazing that I have never thought of this before!! I have always thought that the reason it was so impossible was that I was having to trade precious sleep for it.
I've gotten up between 7-8, had breakfast, read scriptures with the kids, chores, played a game with them, and did devotional. They are in charge of their learning for the next little while, and then I lock myself in a room with a desk and read and write.
Seems too good to last, and I'm sure it will change, but for now I am so very
Thankful.
I had an impression a couple of months ago that it might be nice to go and sing to a friend of mine who is suffering from cancer.
It seemed a little silly and embarassing, especially since I don't know her that well and haven't seen her for several years.
The reports I got from people close to her told me that she was overwhelmed with visitors and phone calls and the needs of her 8 children and husband.
So I ignored the impression.
Yesterday during my study session, I had a feeling that I needed to make arrangements to do it or it would be too late.
I still felt embarassed, but I went ahead and called someone close to her to see if she would help me arrange it, and she said she would.
I really did have a sense that time was drawing to a close for this friend, but I thought I at least had a few days.
I was sad to hear that she passed away this afternoon.
Mostly sad for her husband and kids and close friends.
But also sad that I didn't take the opportunity to share my talents when I had the chance. I could have lifted her burden for a few moments, and I didn't do it because I was too embarassed to ask. I could have partaken in a very special experience, and I missed it.
Lesson learned.
Today my kids made up a game that included all siblings.
Later they made an intricate fort in the front room that had a top and bottom level.
Big brother Brandon made a skate board for Simon so he could be "Diego".
Daisy, aka "Alicia" got a skateboard too, and they giggled as they skated around the kitchen.
Ruby read to the 3 little ones while I had my study time.
These are some of the most precious times of parenting. I have such a fullness of joy when I see my children enjoying one another. It is beautiful.
Nathan read out loud to Brandon in an effort to help them both "catch the reading bug."
They worked together creating their checklists so they'd be available for each other at the right times.
Brandon helped Daisy finish her chores in time to help Simon "rescue some animals."
Daisy helped Simon put his pajamas on. He was so tired at bedtime that the big kids all helped him get onto his bed, and they ran down to tell me how he fell fast asleep instantly.
This is one of the best perks about home schooling.
Having time together.
How To Make $80 in and Hour:
I worked for hours on my 2009 photo book in order to have it ready in time to take part of the great holiday specials. It still rang up at 87.00.
I know it is worth it.
It is full of high quality prints in a beautiful book that actually fits on my shelf.
I could possibly have printed off and scrapbooked all of those photos for less money. But I would have had to pay for the prints and the paper and the glue and the sheet protectors and the binder. And I would have to find room on my shelf for a gigantic binder that is hard for the kids to look through without it crashing to the floor. And the time I save is amazing! It is so much easier for me to keep up this way. No big scrapbooking mess, either.
I was very excited to see the little white package on my doorstep as I drove off for Activity Days today.
When I came home, I wondered if I should wait until Christmas to look at it......No, I just couldn't wait.
As soon as dinner was over, and I knew I could get somewhere safely away from food, I opened the package.
Oh, no.
The cutout on the front cover of the book was completely off-centered.
It made the photo behind it that was supposed to peek through look completely cut-off.
This was not something I could just brush off. I had paid nearly $90 for this book, and it needed to be done right!
I found the customer service number.
"We are experiencing high call volumes right now. You may have to wait 25 minutes or more."
Seriously?
I put the head set on and started looking through the book. The rest of it was beautiful, though I spelled Japan like Japah on one page.
We did family prayers and read our Christmas story and had our Christmas song.
I checked email and took care of some other business.
An hour later when I finally got to explain my problem, the service rep said, "We will re-submit your order and you will only be responsible for shipping."
I thought he must mean they wanted me to ship it back at my expense. I had him clarify. I still couldn't beleive it.
"So could you please tell me what the new total will be?"
"$6.99"
That off-centered cover is not looking so bad....
I might even be able to print off a picture and tape it behind the window so it looks better.
Amazing how bad things can turn out pretty good after all.
And one last thing:
Yesterday we started reading Christmas-related verses for our scripture study. I noticed that the list I had gotten from an email by another home schooler didn't have any of the Book of Mormon references on it. I made a mental note to look up Samuel's prophecy and other such verses.
When it came time to sit down and do my own study, I thought, "It would be really fun to get into some of those Christmas stories a little deeper myself. I love all things Christmas. After I read my regular Book of Mormon chapter, I will look up Samuel's prophecy."
So I opened my scriptures to the page where I had left off the morning before. My eyes were immediately drawn to the words in the chapter heading for the chapter I was due to read right then.
It was Samuel's prophecy! Isn't that amazing! A little embarassing that I didn't know it was coming, but a very fun Christmas surprise!
...
i love your posts sarah. you are a good example to me :)
ReplyDeleteYour joy is nourishing.
ReplyDeleteThanks