This post has been swimming around my mind for weeks.
A combination of busyness, fear, and not knowing exactly what to write or how to say it have kept it from reaching print.
It is not a comfortable season to have my weaknesses continually before me, creating seemingly impassable stumbling blocks each time I make a commitment to work a little harder, sacrifice a little more, be a little better, overcome another bad habit.
But I know that it is important, a gift. A chance to be humble and let the Lord help make weak things become strong.
I feel so, so weak.
It is hard to have hope that I could ever be strong in these areas that have haunted me my whole life.
It is hard to fight off the feelings that I am entirely responsible, that I have to do it on my own.
It is hard to know what to say when people say, "How are you?"
"Actually, I've been fighting dark thoughts and personal demons on an almost constant basis for several weeks." Somehow that just doesn't come out.
So instead I say, "I'm fine, how are you?"
And really, I am.
I AM happy.
I have a great life and lots of little things to make me happy.
But I AM hurting. I am hurting inside with fear of losing control or fear of hurting someone I love or fear that I will never be able to take care of this body and this home and this family in the ways that I know to be ideal.
I am hurting physically. I stand up and it hurts. I move and it hurts. If I do anything strenuous, I pay for it the next day. I am always so, so tired.
And my baby has stopped sleeping through the night and I felt that getting sleep was my one saving grace. The one thing keeping me sane.
I am feeling abandoned by my husband who is hurting in his own ways and cannot bear for me to be having problems. I know he does not mean for me to feel this way. I know he may feel similarly abandoned by me.
It is just so hard when we are both struggling at the same time.
I feel lonely.
But I know I am not alone.
I am not alone.
One night as I lay half-asleep between night wakings of sick kids and husband I felt the Spirit whisper:
"Do not be afraid, trust me, everything will be okay."
Another day I felt myself slipping into despair and the thought came, "Get back into the light."
And I did.
And sometimes when my body aches, I can actually feel thankful for it, knowing that each little twinge of pain is a chance for me to think of Jesus and what he did for me.
When I drove our loaded down van through canyons to get to our family reunion I thought there might be some guardian angels keeping that old beast running for us long enough to save up for a car that actually fits the family.
I hesitate to post about this, but I sense that there might be someone else out there feeling the same way who might need to know that they are not alone either.
...
Oh, Sarah! I'm fighting demons all the time!!! I'm sorry you're hurting--physically and emotionally.
ReplyDeleteWhat astonishing parallels we are living. I strained a groin muscle a few weeks ago, and I am hurting. My husband and I are trying to find one another again now that he is done with school. My baby stopped sleeping, too, and I am walking around with heavy eyes and befuddled brain. You're not alone!!!!!
Heavenly Father loves us. You know that. I know that. He will help us bear our burdens and be joyful.
I struggle with my own demons. And so much physical pain. And fear. And worry.
ReplyDeleteI know it will get better. It always does. Always.
But sometimes the better has to come about in unexpected ways. Personally, for me and my family,it is/was medication. It's taken two years since my diagnosis to find the right cocktail that helps. But help is there, given to others to give to us.
Sometimes, the answer is not in how much we can endure, how much we can self talk into or out of it, sometimes, it's a gift from Heavenly Father. Sometimes that gift comes from untold years of inspiration of other people that culminates in making our lives easier.
I obviously don't know the details of what you are dealing with. I can imagine just loving that many children would incapacitate me, knowing my limitations, knowing my weaknesses.
But I hear you. I pray for you.
I am glad you posted this. I too don't like to dwell on the challenges and things that are hard, but rather that happy joyful parts of life. But sometimes it is good to know I am not the only one. To be honest, if you didn't feel this way I would be shocked (and probably feel worse about myself). I am constantly impressed with you. Like your blog says you gave up the easy life for the good life and even though it is good, it is still hard, but you keep on going - you keep on trying. I don't feel like you choose this life because you would be able to do it with ease, but because even though it would be hard it would be worth it.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing. I know how you feel. I frequently feel sheer numbers keep me from being the kind of mother I want to be and the more I attempt to figure out a way (THER MUST BE A WAY)...I'm stopped in every path.
ReplyDeleteThen my own demons and literal nightmares. sigh.
HUGS.
Rhyetta here. I was in a funk for a while recently. I didn't recognize it as slipping into depression or "fighting my demons" but I had no energy for life. I had no enthusiasm for things that I normally love to do. Spring came and went and I didn't plant a garden. I didn't even want to. I wondered about that and told myself I was busy with other things. I didn't smile. I didn't want to talk to people because I felt I had nothing positive to contribute. When I felt sad and grumpy all the time and when I found myself crying so, so often, I realized it was time to get serious about it. I talked to my husband, I talked to my mom. I asked friends what made them happy. Just talking about it helped. And then I started reading "Bonds that Make Us Free" and I had huge aha moments. I think I was feeling so down about myself because I wasn't behaving in a way that I knew I should. I was yelling at the kids instead of listening to them. The moment I recognized this and changed my behavior, I snapped out of the funk. I caught myself smiling! I felt good about myself when I was living my life the way I knew I should. It felt great!
ReplyDeleteKeep talking. Keep praying. You will be inspired to find your way to happiness again.
Love you, Sarah! -Kim
ReplyDelete