We've Given Up the Easy Life for the Good Life

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Roots and Branches

A few times lately I've had a chance to think about lonely people.
It has given me a chance to ponder the security that family offers.
I have taken for granted the strength I get from my ancestors.
Maybe even failed to recognize the full meaning of posterity.

I've taken some time to realize that I am blessed by the eternal connection to my family.
How grateful I am for the strong roots that hold me securely to the household of God.
How fulfilling it is to see my children growing up and to imagine their children for generations.
It gives me a very secure place in the world.

Some people don't have that.  Many people, even. 
How sad that there are people left alone in the world.
I see how being left without root nor branch is a desolate situation indeed!

Mother, Father, Grandparents--Thank you for loving each other and your children for generations. 
What a gift it is to know unconditional love.
What a gift it is to have a place in the world--in eternity-- that is surrounded by that love.

My resolve is ever more firm:
I will love these little ones.
I will teach them how to love the way that I have been loved. 
There is nothing better.
There is not greater mission for me to accomplish than to make fewer lonely people in the world and to nourish those branches.

...

1 comment:

  1. Our neighbor is alone and dying in a nursing home. We visit her, but she is still so desperately lonely. It hurts my heart, and, like you, makes me determined to "make fewer lonely people in the world."

    ReplyDelete