In 2010, when my heart was opened to the idea of having more children, I had no idea what it meant. I have previously shared the confusion I have felt over whether our family was complete or not. Since Sullivan came to our family, I have had lots of questions from others about whether or not we were "done." I am not offended by this curiosity like many people are. It doesn't bother me to share things like that with others, and I frankly feel a need to talk about it sometimes because it occupies my mind and heart so frequently! But I never had an answer. "I don't know," was all I could say. When Sulley was past 2 and weaned at 26 months and my body was showing no sign or regularity, I started to wonder if maybe I was done. I don't know if I will ever not feel baby hungry, but I have felt pretty peaceful about things going either way. People like to tell me I am still young, but my body is 7 pregnancies "old", and I am tired! Not tired enough to deny somebody a chance to come to our family, though.
It is sometimes fun and exciting, and sometimes really scary to put that decision in the hands of God and nature. I prayed about it daily for years. I think through the summer Dallin and I both felt a roller coaster of emotions about it. I got to a point where I was definitely in the baby hungry and ready phase, but nothing was happening. At a homeschool meeting, I borrowed a bouncy, giggly baby boy from some friends for a few minutes. He is their 11th! Dallin and I played with that little guy and drank in his smiles and giggles. I asked Dallin later if he was baby hungry. "How could you not be after playing with that little guy?" he said. Pretty heartwarming!
Weeks went by, and I was paying more attention to my body and wondering if things were beginning to wake up. I watched and waited and arrived at the day before I had decided to take a pregnancy test.
It was temple day with the big kids. I have taken fewer homeschool trips this year so I have some time alone with my 3 big kids. We usually get some dinner after we are finished, so I invited my niece who is at BYU to join us for dinner afterwards. We drove around Provo for a few minutes until we settled on Panda Express. I was kind of excited to read my fortune cookie after we ate because I was anticipating the pregnancy test the next morning. I had Brandon read it to me and giggled with delight:
A very welcome visitor! And the next morning I got the good news!
...

Congratulations, Sarah! What wonderful news!
ReplyDelete