We have preferred for many past years to have Christmas Eve and Day at our home with our immediate family. It has made the day more meaningful and special and a better reward for us as parents after all the preparation. Last year we slipped out of tradition so I could be with my family while Dallin and the boys were in Mexico, so we were hoping for a Christmas at home this year. As we learned about the plans of family members over the holidays, we realized we were going to have to let that go. And the kids were all begging to have Christmas at Grandma's anyway.
When it was looking like we'd be spending over a week there, we were feeling a bit nervous about the crowd. As more of my siblings move away from our hometown, there is less space at my parent's house for people to stay. We had an idea to try something new, and it was really great! I asked my sister who lives near my parents if we could stay with them. They have a big family in a small house, but I thought it would be fun since our kids match up in age so well, and it would give us some space from the big crowd at my parents'. We appreciated so much their hospitality. They gave us a bedroom where we could sleep with our youngest kids and the other kids slept on the floor with their cousins. The adults could stay up and visit and play games without feeling like we were letting the little ones stay up too late. I hope it took some of the pressure off of my mom for feeding a huge crowd 3 times a day, though we still ate at her house plenty! Staying at Amy's eased the pressure of the big family gathering just enough that we could really relax and enjoy one another.
We arrived the Friday before Christmas, late. In the morning we had a baptism to attend for my niece. It was fun for her that so many cousins were there. They live in Kansas now, so it was great to see them.
Then we had a few days to play and rest and do last-minute things for Christmas. Christmas morning, we decided to open stockings at Amy's and presents at my mom's. It was great! The kids were so excited to be with cousins and my nephew Tanner skyped in from his mission in Brazil, so there was still a pile of unopened presents that were somewhat forgotten. I felt so grateful that everybody got their Christmas wishes and there were fun surprises too. I was especially glad to fill Dallin's wish list as he is not one to buy things for himself, and I was excited to get things without him knowing. I bought him some shoes to play racquetball in, and I bought 2 sizes because I have had bad luck choosing the right size for him in shoes. I knew I'd be covered if I just bought both shoes and let him take back the one that didn't fit as well. I didn't realize that they were 2 different styles of shoes, and he ended up loving them both and not being able to choose! Oh well, they will get used and I won't have to buy more for a long time! I was able to find a couple of inexpensive things so the big boys would have something to open, and Grandma and Grandpa took pity on them (their gift was a ski trip at Thanksgiving), and gave them some fun money in a card. The lifelike dolls I got the little girls are so beautiful! We are having so much fun with them! Sarajoy especially treats hers like a real baby and takes care of it all day long. I love to see my girls practice nurturing. Ruby wanted Hawaiian sandals and moccasins. I ended up getting all of the younger kids moccasins because they've had so much fun with our Indian studies this year. Simon wanted a remote control airplane, and my mom just happened to have one she bought on clearance years ago. She also had a wooden car carrier for Sullivan, and I got him a playmobil guy with a motorcycle. He keeps all of his little gifts in his treasure box and gets it out every day. I really, really love giving gifts at Christmas!
The next day we did our Porter family party. We had dinner and talents and a gift exchange. In between talents, we do "minute to win-it" games, which is great! I was super excited for the grown-ups portion. We are on a rotation for which adult couple we give gifts to, and after the kids are done with their exchange, we send them off to play and watch the adults open gifts. My sister Melissa is the funnest person in the world to get gifts for. Since I only get her name every 8 years, I had quite a little collection of things for her. Some vintage paper cutout villages I got on Ebay that reminded me of one she had growing up, some "teeny-tiny littlest pet shops" because she loves miniatures, the children's book "A Time To Keep" by Tasha Tudor, which is old-fashioned celebration of holidays, some chocolates, and a necklace locket that is glass and you put little tiny charms in it. It was fun to pick charms that reminded me of things she loves. She is as fun to shop for as a kid! Russ got a meat tray from Costco cause he's a sausage kind of guy, and some essential oil for his sauna. I got him some fireworks and a little game since he's always saying how boring practical gifts are!
My brother Steven and his wife drove through a blizzard from Spokane to surprise everybody. We thought since they'd just moved there they wouldn't have enough time off to make the trip worth it. We are so glad they did! It was a really fun surprise. They had our name and got us a nice speaker for our ipod that we can use in the house or in the car. (Our van has the worst possible sound system)
It was a wonderful holiday vacation, and the week flew by quickly. The kids were in heaven getting to be with cousins around the clock, and there was very little grouchiness at that. We are grateful to be a part of such a wonderful and loving family. For sure a very essential part of celebrating Christmas!
No comments:
Post a Comment