We've Given Up the Easy Life for the Good Life

Monday, May 22, 2017

Facebook Post about Losing Weight

What's on my mind? My body. I'm so thankful for it. This is long, but bear with me. I'm trying to change the world.
People are starting to notice that I've lost weight this year. They're asking what I've been doing. It makes me a little uncomfortable because I hate our culture's obsession with body image. So what do I say? Here's my story:
I've struggled with my weight since puberty when I went from size 5 to size 12 in a matter of weeks in 7th grade. Always hated my huge breasts and curvy hips. Detested shopping for clothes because cute stuff never looked good on me. Gained a lot of weight during pregnancy. I never lost weight when nursing. Spent years studying nutrition, trying to find the perfect diet. Tried and tried and tried to exercise regularly. Willpower was always short lived. The needs of my family always trumped that battle. A few years ago I finally put it in Gods hands and trusted He would walk me through it in his gentle way. He has. What did I do?
First, I loved Him. Then he showed me how to love me. Then he showed me how to love everyone else better. For over 3 years I worked on ditching the shame. I ate what I wanted without guilt, and thanked God for the food I enjoyed. I only exercised if I wanted to. I worked on being grateful for my body just the way it was, accepting that if it never changed I'd be fine.
Earlier this year I made the most important step. I repented of all the judgemental thoughts I'd had about other people's weight or lifestyles.
And the poison flowed out.
I realized I'd been holding myself to standards that had been set by my own stupid and false judgements of others.
THAT is what I've been doing to lose weight.
I also by the grace of God (not willpower) happen to not like sugar anymore, I occasionally listen to hypnosis tracks that help shift my thoughts, and I workout now and then. But those things are fruits of the real workout. The real workout is to repent immediately of poisonous thoughts about myself or others. That poison is what really dims a person's beauty.
So I worry a little about getting attention for losing weight. I know it's well-meant and I can't deny it feels good, but I don't want my kids to hear it. They've ALWAYS thought I was beautiful. So has my husband, bless him.
I was beautiful when my curvy hips supported the creation of 8 human bodies. I was beautiful when my giant breasts nourished not just my own babies, but a handful of others. I felt most beautiful when this 200+ pound mama bear breathed and roared babies into this world in the sacredness of my own home. I was beautiful when my squatty body threw itself across a mama who was shaking after a rough delivery. I'm beautiful when I have to ask for help cause I can't reach something on the top shelf. I'm beautiful when I smile understandingly at people who treat me as less because of my weight. I was beautiful when I got up in front of people and sang or taught or testified or wept. I was beautiful curled up in my bed fighting the demons of postpartum mood disorders. I was even beautiful in the dressing room at Old Navy when I tried on some super cute leggings and I laughed out loud because they looked so ridiculous!
Here's the truth:
Everyone is miraculously beautiful.
Stop. And. Look!
Find it in you. Find it in everyone. Repent of the judgements. Repent for believing the lies. Don't just notice when someone is losing weight. Notice everyone and speak the truth about their beauty. Tell the fat people and the thin people and the addicts and the shy people and the annoying people and your family and the disabled and the healthy and unhealthy and friends and strangers.
Because IT IS TRUE!
Change things for our kids. Cause they will notice if the only complements you give out are to people who are losing weight.
Take back beauty. It is THE truth of our humanity.
Then return it to ALL of its rightful owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment