We've Given Up the Easy Life for the Good Life

Monday, April 26, 2010

Sibling Revelry

Two boys, then two girls.

Having the first four children come in pairs has been wonderful.  What could be better than a built in best friend?
They definitely have their moments of contention and irritation, but for the most part they get along really well.  It is one of the most fulfilling things as a parent when I see my children getting along well.

We really thought we were going to continue the pattern.  We thought we were going to get a buddy for Simon.  We were really surprised to find out we were having a little girl.  So now our two children who are the closest in age are not the same gender.  I'm sure they will still be friends, but it is a new experience for us.

When Sarajoy was born, Simon was only 20 months old.  He thought she was cute and held her sometimes, but for the most part he ignored her. Or tolerated her presence in our family. 

The first time I remember him really interacting with her was last September when we were doing the Visit Salt Lake thing.  He was standing up in the back seat of his stroller, leaning into her carseat which was latched into the front of the stroller.  He was excited to see that she was awake, and he was talking to her in a sweet voice. 

Another time happened a couple of months ago.  I was pushing the stroller down to the school to pick up Daisy from preschool.  It was sunny, but cold and windy.  We passed by a house where a dog started barking.  Simon said, "Dog, Babe."  A few minutes later, a big gust of wind hit us.  "Watch out, Babe! Blowing!". 

Then, the other day, I was not feeling well.  The older kids had one by one gone off to play with friends, so I was left with no babysitter.  I decided to come down to the computer and catch up on a few things.

How silly of me to think I was left with no babysitter.  Simon was here!

He had even gotten them both a snack!  What a helper!



The conversation:  "Open, Babe"





"Medicine, Babe"



"Open, Babe."

And, she'd actually turn her head each time and take the pretend medicine that he was getting from a toy cup. 

He already wants to take care of his little sis.  I hope he always does. 




...

No comments:

Post a Comment