When harvest time comes bearing down upon my neat little schedule that I've worked so hard to implement.
It happens every year.
Why do I think I can pick and preserve fruit AND do our regular routine that already takes up more time than we have?
Maybe we should start school in August so we can just plan on taking a harvest break.
Or maybe I should remember that harvest time provides lots of learning opportunities and lots of memories.
We picked grapes at dusk for Family Home evening on Monday. It must have been the right time of day because it is the first time we've picked grapes and nobody has complained.
Today, I read aloud to my older 3 kids while they skinned grapes for jam. We'd take turns reading and skinning and straining and changing diapers.
And eating Fruit Loops.
I seldom buy them, but they were on a great sale, and I knew the kids would enjoy them as a treat. They made a lovely emergency lunch in my steamy, sticky, complete disaster of a kitchen.
The kids stuck it out through the first batch, and helped a little with batches 2 and 3, but they were tired of the kitchen. They were playing so nicely together and keeping the little ones out of my way. Lots of love and learning going on there, so I let them be.
Then I was alone. And something was missing. The house was quiet. Too quiet. I looked for what I needed, but couldn't find it. So I just kept working until I could stand on my feet no longer.
I took a break when Dallin got home to put my feet up for awhile and read.
Dinner was over, scripture time through, kids in bed. I still had a batch of fruit leather to make and a HUGE mess to clean up. I was so happy to find what I needed before I had to start the next phase of my project.
There is something about this time of year that makes me NEED Little Women.
I don't remember when I first chose to listen to this book while I processed fruit, but it was a perfect match. Now, I discovered that I really long for it. Working alone this afternoon, I could almost hear the lovely story in my mind. The library copy was out. I found a free download, but it was the wrong voice. I listened to several samples, and realized that I not only need the story, I need Barbara Caruso's voice.
Then I found it! For $10 I could download it from Amazon. I figure that if I'm going to listen to it every fall, it will be a good investment. In minutes, I had it downloaded and playing on my computer.
Ahhhhhh, that's better.
I quietly set to work, welcoming the old friends and stories for our yearly reunion. I laughed out loud at Jo's antics. I warmed at Marmee's tenderness and wisdom. I marveled at the lovely strength of the March family, and hoped again that this year we could become a little more like them.
And I didn't even get that far into the book.
I better go find some more fruit!
...
I sob, every time when Beth dies... Every single time.
ReplyDeleteIt is so easy for me to say, "Yes, the experience of harvest time is the best thing right now--the routine and school can wait."
ReplyDeleteIt is another thing altogether to actually watch the routine and pleasantness of the days fly out the window--especially when you know how hard it is to establish those routines that bring order and joy to your days.
May your harvest be bountiful, your children be happy, and your routines easy to replace!