This post is about a really sensitive subject. So sensitive that I can't share a lot of details, even though I usually love to share details.
But I would feel ungrateful if I didn't take this chance to shout out to the world that God is in the details of our lives. If we are listening, He has things to show us and ways to prepare us for the things that lie ahead.
It started with a phone call from my friend mentioning that she would like to start learning more about the 12-step addiction recovery program. I told her that I had had a similar thought, and I remembered that someone had come to our Relief Society a couple of years ago to explain a little bit about it. We scheduled a time to meet and discuss a few things since we both have loved ones recovering from addictions. Two days later, I was cleaning out the computer desk and found the 12-step handout from Relief Society that had been hiding under a stack of papers for years.
Two days later, my husband and I were watching our Becoming Spiritually Centered DVD, and the lesson was on how to handle it when someone you love makes a mistake.
My favorite part was that he taught that when someone is in a state of high emotion, their heart is wide open, so whatever message you send will go straight to their heart. You can emphasize their eternal worth or you can send a message of rejection.
Two days later, my friend and I met with another friend and talked about addictions and weakness and how we are ultimately all dependent on Christ for our salvation. We shared a hope that we can help our loved ones through recovery and we can be free from our own issues through Him.
That night, well, (enter "sensitive information" emoticon)....
But I was able to feel so loved, and express so much love, and feel so much peace.
Sorrow, for sure, but not sadness and depression and anxiety.
Sorrow and peace.
I was prepared.
And I am so grateful.
No comments:
Post a Comment