We've Given Up the Easy Life for the Good Life

Monday, March 15, 2010

Labor of Library

Back in September I began an overhaul of the Millington family library.
I figured that since I was doing this, I may as well catalog all of our books. I wanted them sorted by year according to what we study for home school. This was a HUGE project. The books and bins sat, half finished, in my livingroom for weeks.
A nice large bookshelf that I snagged at a yardsale for $6 was the inspiration for me to at least get the books on the shelves with nice little dots if they applied to a specific year. As we shelved the books, I wrote them down in a notebook.

The baby quit sleeping through the night soon after that, and the whole project was forgotten for many months. We took many of the books from the shelf to put up Christmas decorations. After Christmas, I found a stash of books that I had forgotten. They came upstairs and lay piled on the bookshelves and in heaps on the living room floor for a couple of months.

I must have had enough sleep one day to actually notice what an eyesore all of those piles of books were. I made sure they were written down and put them nicely on the shelves. It was very theraputic. I love looking at how nice those shelves look. It was bothering me that the project wasn't completely done. I wanted to enjoy those books without that nagging feeling.

So I did it. I put all of our books into a spreadsheet. They can be organized by title, author, or year. I have my own little library! We have 693 books. I LOVE Books!

Now I can take my list to yardsales and thrift stores and not accidentally buy something I already have.

It is nice to produce something like that once in a while.

1 comment:

  1. Brave of you to tackle something so huge. I have the kid's books sorted by ability: baby/toddler books in Noah's room, picture books/early readers in Jocelyn's, chapter books and reference books in Tyler's, educational craft books in two different places, cookbooks and design in another and then all of our grownup books in the basement. (And speciality holiday books grouped and in bins with holiday decorations.) I figure that's as good as we're going to get around here! A spreadsheet? IMPRESSED!

    ReplyDelete