We've Given Up the Easy Life for the Good Life

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Just A Day

Today I woke up to the phone ringing.  It was the Pack Rat place telling me that my storage unit would be arriving in about an hour. 
We couldn't help it-- when we heard the loud beep. beep. beep., we all ran to the driveway door to watch.  He backed up, unlatched the unit, chained it to the lifter, and then plugged in this cool remote control.  He proceeded to lift the unit off the truck and set it on our driveway with the remote control.  I was almost as excited as my 2 year old son.  The one year old could even tell it was something exciting and wanted out of her high chair to be a part of it.
After Scriptures and eating an eggs, rice, and sausage mix made by Dallin, the boys and I got to work. 
We emptied the garage of all the boxes and shelves, plus packed a few more. 
It was hard work, but it felt good to be making some progress!
At 3:00, we enjoyed some ice cream bars that we discovered in the freezer.
Nathan went down to Dallin's office to do a standardized test.
Sarajoy went down for a nap.  I was exhausted.  I sent the kids downstairs and climbed in bed and read until my eyes wouldn't stay open. 
Then I slept. 
It has been so long since I had such a lovely nap!  It was heavenly!
I woke up at 5:30 and fed the baby.  I heard Dallin and Nathan arrive home.
Ruby and I made some bowtie noodles with alfredo sauce.  We had a orange-spinach-apricot smoothie with it. 
We're on Ruby's 7th day of 8 til 8. 
We took her to the mall to get her ears pierced.  I think I was almost as nervous as she.  Thankfully, it didn't hurt a bit.  She looks sweet with her star-shaped ruby studs.  I just love that her birthstone is a ruby, and it also happens to be her favorite color. 
Since we were at the mall, we had to stop by Hallmark to look at stuffed animals. 
Dallin and I paused for awhile at the Willowtree figurines.  There is something about those figurines that is so moving for me.  It is amazing that such a simple carving can capture feelings and memories in such a powerful way. 
We got a few groceries and a balloon boquet on the way home.  She'll be 8 in about 6 hours.

Bringing Ruby into the world was one of the most powerful and wonderful experiences of my life. 
I never really felt complete until she was born.  I yearned for that little girl. 
They never could tell us for sure on the ultrasounds if she was a girl.  They would say probably, but not for sure. 
I was nervous about trying to birth without pain medication.  It was hard, but so beautiful the way Dallin and I worked together during labor.  Once I got in the birth tub, we were alone.  Dallin and I worked and focused together while the midwife dozed on a chair. 
When she was in my arms, all chubby and curly haired, it was pure bliss!

When I brought her home, I felt more powerfully than with any of my others that I was bringing a piece of heaven into my home. 

I need to remember these things more as I interact with this thoughtful, ambitious, creative, stubborn, helpful, beautiful bit of heaven.

2 comments: