Sometimes we get to meet people who are truly masters of their craft, and it is a joy to watch them work. It is a privilege to be mentored and served by them.
Since my first experience with a midwife 13 years ago, I have loved midwifery. Since my first experience with natural childbirth and all of my reading and studying over the years, I have felt called to care for women someday. I have been thrilled to know several midwives and to be cared for by some very wonderful women. I have worked with some midwives that I learned a few "what not to do's" from. But I have always admired and enjoyed being around and learning from midwives.
I was blessed with this pregnancy, however, to witness an artist of midwifery. My former and beloved midwife having moved too far away, I needed a new midwife. I had heard that she was good from 3 of my friends, but I had no idea how blessed I would be by her. I had an idea pretty quickly, though.
A typical prenatal: First, I was welcomed into her house and offered some kind of food or drink or both. If the kids were with me, they got hot chocolate. Then I was offered a seat in a comfy recliner. While I poured my heart out, she rubbed my feet. And she was knowledgeable and skilled about reflexology so it was a professional foot rub. We would talk about life, then talk about the pregnancy. She would have good suggestions for vitamins, herbs, or nutrition to help my pregnancy issues, and they were good suggestions! I tribute the many ways this pregnancy was easier to her knowledge and skills and ability to nurture both emotionally and physically.
Another amazing thing about her was how available she was. I felt like I could text her anytime and always get a loving response. And she would come to me if she could, the way she showed up the day after I found out I was having a boy. Our paths crossed frequently because our daughters were in some classes together, and she was as delighted to see me as I her and took a few minutes to check up on me. My kids absolutely loved her and her ability to make a person feel important. She showed up for me again and again and again (Actually 5 times that last week) when I just needed reassurance, and she stayed with me as long as I needed her. And she kept coming those couple of rough weeks after the baby, offering genuine care, concern, advice, and time.
At the birth, she was such a pillar of strength. When Dallin and I watched the birth video, we were both touched by her smiles and nods and quiet encouragement while she carefully and patiently waited for baby and also took care of preparations for the delivery. Then after the birth, she just sat by my bed, smiling and watching over me and the baby. Dallin's comment: "What is she doing? She is just sitting there, watching. That is so comforting that all of her attention is on you." I quite agree. A master at work is not always busy doing. They take time to watch. And smile.
I always feel better after a conversation with her, even if it is just by text. I know she is a person with her own family, trials, and heartaches. It makes me so amazed that she has so much to give and that she gives it so willingly. I know she has grown accustomed to living on little sleep so she can care for her clients and friends. I not only feel better after being around her, I want to BE better. I find myself being more careful with my kids when they come to me with their little troubles. I stop, hug them, look in their eyes and make sure I stay with them until they are ready for me to move on.
Because I know how wonderful it feels to be a grown up and have someone do that for me.
It has been a privilege to be cared for by a master artist.
...
Wow! Just wow! What a blessing to you and to the world this woman must be. It was a treat just to read about her.
ReplyDelete