Isn't it funny that we celebrate St. Patrick's Day? What a great country we live in!
You really do need a holiday at least once a month.
This is the one time each year that I buy Lucky Charms.
Even though as an adult sugared cereal makes me feel kinda gross, I still ate some for breakfast.
I used to eat all the "browns" first and then savor each marshmallow floating in sweet colored milk.
Now I prefer at least one in each bite, and I have to mix with Cheerios to cut down on the sweetness.
My kids LOVE it, though.
It makes them feel lucky for a day.
For the past several years, the home school group has done an ice skating field trip on St. Patrick's Day. I have always loved it!
This year, I was not on top of things enough to arrange for a sitter for my 2 little ones.
I am lucky that my 4 older kids were pretty fine without my help.
Even little Daisy, who was SO excited for her first chance to ice skate, was perfectly content to hang onto the wall and wait for a turn for a skate-walker thing. She even stuck out her arms and did baby steps around the rink for awhile. She was doing great! I wish I could have been more attentive to her, but I am very proud that she enjoyed herself so well.
I went ahead and put skates on my toddlers and took them out there. It was a little crazy of me. I'm glad Nathan was there to take Sarajoy, and then my friend came and skated with her for a couple of minutes.
I am glad they got to have the experience, though.
Simon is SO enthusiastic about things. I love to see his excitement.
The 3 of us were only on the rink for a few minutes. It took us way longer to get our gear on than it did for us to skate. I don't think my back will ever be the same.
But it was fun! We got off the ice and the littles were happy to play around the waiting area while I visited with friends. It wouldn't have been so pleasant if I hadn't let them try out the ice.
They were fascinated at the end when the big ice truck came out and resurfaced the rink.
Part of the reason I was so brain-dead about the babysitting thing was that I had a singing appointment in town just an hour and a half after the skating was supposed to be over.
I'm lucky I have a nice friend who agreed last minute to watch my kids while I sang so I didn't have to take the kids all the way home. It probably would have made me late for my appointment.
I'm lucky that I have another nice friend who let me borrow a skirt and sunday shoes to put on for my singing gig since I accidentally left mine in a bag at home.
I'm lucky that I can sing 6 relatively difficult songs with absolutely no practice or warm-up. There just wasn't time this week. It was so wonderful! It has been a couple of years since I've been able to do a program like that.
I'm lucky that the ladies' club that I sang for bought me lunch. Chicken Cordon Bleu with fresh scones, mashed potatoes, and yummy cooked carrots.
It was very fun to sit and listen to these beautiful women chatting about families, discussing politics and television shows, and most surprising--sports! Yes, they could have kept up with my husband in a discussion on BYU and JAZZ basketball. One of them prefers to watch baseball, though.
These cute 80-somethings have been getting together once a month for over 60 years! Isn't that wonderful!
I'm lucky they asked me to sing.
I'm lucky that when we all got home, my baby slept and my other kids played happily with neighborhood friends so I could sleep off the monster headache that hit me as I was leaving the restaurant.
I'm lucky that Dallin got fed at work since it was SEP conferences.
So we had Lucky Charms and Clover chips for dinner, too!
And he was nice enough to bring home a plate of his dinner for me.
I didn't even have to catch a leprechaun!
No comments:
Post a Comment