We've Given Up the Easy Life for the Good Life

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Tender Loving Care

Just as I was finishing the dishes today, I heard Sarajoy being upset on the monitor.  I realized that Daddy had put her to bed without me nursing her. 
I went upstairs and cuddled her in my bed, hoping she'd nurse for a good long while and sleep well tonight. 
Moments later, we heard commotion in the hall. 
The 3 oldest kids up to "shenanigans" as we call them. 
That's the kind of crazy roughhousing that always ends with someone getting hurt. I don't normally put up with it at all, but I was nursing and Dallin was reading stories to get Simon to bed so nobody stopped it. 
Sure enough, it wasn't long before Ruby was screaming and crying and the boys were blaming each other. 
Sarajoy was so disturbed that she refused to nurse.  She kept pointing out my bedroom door to where the crying was coming from and putting out her bottom lip.  I really just wanted her to nurse and go to bed, but she was too concerned. 
I called Ruby into my room and told her I was sorry she got hurt.  I asked her to climb into bed beside Sarajoy and get some loves. 
Ruby cuddled up to Sarajoy and got a hug. 
Then my sweet baby balled up her hand and put it against Ruby's face. 
At first I thought she was trying to do "knuckles".
But then she put that chubby fist up near Ruby's eye and swiped down. 
Ruby moved a little and Sarajoy did it to the other eye. 
My heart melted into sunshine when I realized what she was doing.

She was wiping away her sister's tears. 

I don't know how she learned to do that.  But it was so precious, I almost wished I was the one crying just so I could have the privilege of having my tears wiped away in such a fashion.
.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, how darling. Thank goodness you blogged that moment. Now it will not be lost to time.

    ReplyDelete