We've Given Up the Easy Life for the Good Life

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Do you know what I love?

I woke up this morning to excitement. 

I felt rested.  Well.  Fabulous.

I could feel the almost-spring sun pushing through my window blinds.

It is coming.  I felt spring today, and it was joyful!

I noticed myself smiling today without even thinking about it.  It was as if nothing could make me frown.

This book I am reading has just helped me remember.

To notice.
To live in the moment.
To be thankful.

I decided to try gratitdude on my kids. 
Whenever they come to me griping or whining or fussing, I say,

"Do you know what I love?" 

I love your big green eyes.
I love the way your hair curls just enough to make you look very handsome.
I love the way your dark, thick, eyelashes frame your eyes. 
I love the way Simon's little bottom is resting on his feet.
I love the way the snow looks on the mountains.
I love the way the wind is blowing those big leaves across the road. 

It is very hard to look gratitude in the face and not respond with a smile.
It is work, but it works.

1 comment: