We've Given Up the Easy Life for the Good Life

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Go Figure

The responsibility of teaching my kids academic skills has weighed very heavily on me this week. 

We do a lot of great things with our time, but we don't do a lot of academics. 
This is partly because of my educational philosophy.
I think that there are more important things for young children to learn, so we get to academics after the important stuff. 

Another reason is that it is near impossible with little people around. 

My oldest is just 18 months away from high school.  I want him to be prepared with the skills he needs to provide for his future family.
 It is hard not to be a little nervous.

Today while I was trying to help one of my boys with school work, I had a major meltdown. 

We were doing a timed reading, and the toddlers burst into the room, screaming ( I had locked the door). 

I am not proud of the way I reacted.  I wish I could go back and try again.

I wanted to go to my room and give up on the day. 

Brandon and I re-did the timed reading. 
I started checking Nathan's math.  He's really been struggling.  Only 5 correct.

WHEN???  WHEN???

When can I sit down with my son and help him through this?  NEVER!

I can't do anything without being interrupted!  I'm so tired of not being able to help my older kids!

The fact that I thought to pray is a miracle in itself.  I guess I'm learning something. 

I called Dallin and asked him if he would be willing and able to handle dinner and cleanup. 
(Canned chili and Fritos can't be too bad.)

I wondered where I could go spend an hour or so with Nathan where we would have quiet and no interruptions. 

I thought of our neighbors 2 doors down who have no children at home.  I felt a little silly asking if I could borrow a quiet room to do some math, but I did it. 

It was amazing!  We got through the problems so quickly and efficiently.  I think he really understood this time because he could think it through with me watching him step-by-step. 

I walked out of their home into the frigid air.  It has been hovering around 0 today. 
The sky was a brilliant navy blue with flecks of stars just starting to peep through. 

When I got into the house, I was met by a tired, tantruming  three-year-old and a sick baby. 

But I handled it well.  I enjoyed being with my kids.  We made Mother Goose popcorn and read stories.

And we all went to bed happy.

Triumph.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't yet had time to sit down properly and offer words of sympathy, understanding, and encouragement.

    I will be back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear that you have moments that you wish you could redo. I'm glad to hear that you know you had moments that ought to be redone.

    And I'm so happy that you were able to hear promptings of the spirit throughout it all.

    Your children have such a fantastic Mother.

    --And sorry for being so out of date on your blog.

    ReplyDelete