It started like a normal Friday.
Daddy got everyone up for scriptures.
Nathan was cooking french toast when we all came in the kitchen.
After scriptures, Ruby led us in our memorization of The Living Christ.
We prayed and listened to Irish Folk Music while everyone did chores.
But then, Daddy didn't go to work! It was a day off!
I did my study time while the kids finished chores and did math.
I walked over to the neighbors with Simon to ask her about a crochet project I am doing for her in exchange for some jewelry for my girls.
When I got home, my visiting teachers were arriving.
We had a lovely discussion. I sure love our new ward. It is fun to begin to know people on a level beyond small talk.
Then it was time for the Rock Show! Every year they have a Gem and Mineral exhibit at the fairgrounds. It is something we've enjoyed for many years.
The kids all brought their spending money and we had a great time! Mostly they just got crystal rock candy. (Ew, but oh well) Simon was enthralled with a large black marble that he payed $.50 for. Daisy got a small stone-carved horse. Ruby Got this huge purple thing carved like a diamond.
(I think it might actually be plastic, but I would have loved it when I was a kid, too. It would have been the perfect item for "cops and robbers". The robbers need something to steal, after all. And what better than a giant purple diamond on a silver stand?)
Friends from our old ward called and wanted to play since they were out of school. We went over and traded kids around. We ended up leaving 3 and bringing 1, so I think it was a pretty good deal! :)
We got some lunch and took it to the park to eat. We spent a few minutes in the library and came home.
Dallin and I spent some time wandering around the yard, dreaming and scheming. It is so hard to know what to do first. Fence? Sprinkler system? Trees? Garden area? We know we need to use a big chunk of our tax return to update our food storage. We'll just keep praying to know what to do first and where the money can do us the most good.
It was nice to be out in the fresh air. It had a good effect on the sinus headache that is still haunting me today. We had fresh pineapple and hot dogs for dinner. I passed on the hot dogs. Just can't do that with a headache.
Dallin turned on PBS today. We RARELY turn the TV on. It was the Brady Bunch. It was really fun to introduce my kids to it. It was funny and made me want to watch more episodes. Then Daisy and I watched some Little House on the Prairie while I crocheted. I think I would like that show more if it wasn't such a stretch from the incredible books! It was right up Daisy's alley, though. I loved watching it with her and answering her cute questions.
Then I went to get some free bread from our ward members who own a bread company. They had lots of outdated bread, and bread is something we really need this month. I keep thinking I'll be able to make it, but there just isn't time right now. So I was very thankful to bring home about 20 loaves of delicious nutritious homemade bread and put it in my freezer.
Even better was a tour of their breadmaking operation and the story behind it and a peek into the life of another great ward member. It is so fun to hear stories and see how the Lord is working with the people around us.
I came home feeling such a strong love for this person, and for everybody and their stories.
Daisy has been waiting for several days to check out the movie "Annie" at the library. She heard the song on one of the kids' dance DVD's. Ever since, she's been asking me questions. She's particularly disturbed about the part where they say, "Santa Claus we never see. Santa Claus, what's that? Who's he?" She can't understand why they wouldn't know about Santa. I told them that Mrs. Hannigan was too mean to let them have Christmas. She said, "If I was Santa, I would just sneak in and give them all presents."
I just love my adorable innocent little Daisy.
For Ruby's date, we went out to the racquetball court and Dallin made up a new game. We've tentatively decided to call it "walla-walla-bing-bang". 4 bases like baseball. You pitch a large rubber ball (the kind they have in the big cages at the grocery store) to a person holding a fat plastic bat. When they hit the ball, they keep the bat and start running bases. They have to try to make it home without being hit by the ball. Bases are safe, but they can't stay there for long. They can use the bat to hit the ball away from themselves. The other 2 people try to hit the person with the ball and get them out. They have to stand in whatever place they picked up the ball and throw from there. If you make it back to home plate, you get 5 points. If you are out, you go to outfield and someone else pitches. Whoever gets 30 points first, wins.
It was super fun, and especially great that Ruby won!
I REALLY wanted to watch a movie with Dallin tonight. I swear, since daylight savings I feel like I'm losing an hour EVERY DAY! It just seems like it is suddenly 10pm!
The boys played night games with the neighborhood kids. They are having such a fun time with friends right now. The spring weather has brought the kids out, and they are often gathered on our lawn and front porch. I am learning to enjoy it. I know that is part of the reason we are here in this house. It is important for my kids to know these people. We are praying to know the best way to be open and welcoming while still maintaining some boundaries and family time.
I was all about buying a couple of acres in the forest and staying to ourselves, but Heavenly Father knew this wonderful neighborhood with lots of youth was better for us. My kids are so happy here. I am so happy here. I know we can make the friend thing work, too.
Dallin is working on an illustrated book of his poetry with his sister. She is doing the illustrations. It is all of the poetry he has written for or about children. He is so excited about it. They spend hours almost daily on the phone and internet making changes. I love it. He deserves to have a wonderful project like this.
Who needs movies, anyway?
I don't feel like it was a super noteworthy day, but I felt inspired to write about it because it is the kind of day that paints a picture of our family right now.
We are so blessed!
I love the picture you paint of you and Dallin walking around the yard and trying to decided where to spend the tax refund. It sounds like you are describing us exactly.
ReplyDeleteAlso it sounds like Russ invented that game you guys play. He loves throwing (soft) stuff at kids.