July 21, 2010
The day came far too quickly. Despite the fact that my ward and other friends had rallied together to help me, I was still desperately behind. We had signed away our beloved home the night before, yet the stuff inside seemed to be multiplying. Even without my kids there, I couldn't seem to work fast enough. Just when I was feeling a sense of relief that Dallin would be home soon to come help me, I got a call from the realtor.
"The funds have cleared and the owners will be there in an hour."
Oh. dear.
My kids were at a friend's house clear in Santaquin, about 20 minutes away.
And I had promised them a chance to walk through and say good-bye.
And there were still some odds and ends and cleaning supplies in the house.
I walked out to the garage and was horror-struck to find that it was still FULL of our stuff!
I fastened the car-top carrier to the car as best as I could. I'm pretty short for the job, but I did it.
I filled the car with the odds and ends and cleaning supplies from the house.
I called my neighbor across the sleep and asked in desperation for the use of their pickup truck.
Pat and Frank came over and helped me load up all the stuff from the garage that was junk. She called the neighbor who she thought might like the charcoal briquettes. I felt so bad to see these elderly people hauling my stuff, yet so thankful that they would come help me.
I was discouraged about all of the building supplies that were stashed in the rafters that were just impossible for us to reach. They had to stay behind.
Then I hopped in the car, and rushed to the freeway to go pick up my kids.
Just as I was entering the freeway from the ramp, I heard a frightening noise. It was the car-top carrier! I had forgotten to latch it down. And Dallin had the padlocks that normally kept the side shut. I pulled over into a construction zone, found a toy carabiner, and hooked it through the side-latch. I hoped for the best, and took off again.
As my speed increased, so did the noise. I could just picture the top of this thing flying off my van and causing an accident. I was late to pick up my kids. I had wanted so badly to let them have a final walk-through and goodbye.
I pulled over.
I sat there on the side of the freeway, sobbing into the steering wheel, hoping that some nice tall person would stop and help me secure this dumb thing.
Nobody stopped, so with tears streaming down my face, the wind swallowing my sobs, and semi trucks whizzing by, I climbed on top of my van. I precariously inched my way past the carrier to the back and fastened the latch. Then I fastened the front latch and slid down the windshield. I got back into the car and started again.
I found that I still had to drive really slow because there was so much wind, and the carrier was empty so it was catching air underneath.
Horrible sound.
I finally pulled up to my friend's house and opened the darn thing. and threw my vacuum and other odds and ends in.
I quickly gathered my kids and rushed back home.
When we got there, Dallin was visiting with the new owner.
Of course in my whirlwind of emotion I hadn't considered that the new owner might be ...
nice.
He was more than happy to let us have a last wander-through and to load up our last little piles of stuff.
He took some pictures of our family in front of the house.
He told us his story. He told us about the miracles that had happened to get him to Utah and to buy our house.
Then it finally came.
The answer that I had been praying for--going to the temple for--Needing!
It came, and I finally knew that it was right.
My big crazy idea was right. It wasn't a mistake. I was really supposed to move so this man and his family could buy my house.
Goodbye, house.
Goodbye to the nice floors we put in to replace the carpet that was in the dining room and kitchen.
Goodbye to the dozens of walls that we removed wallpaper from and painted with happy colors that delighted us.
Goodbye to the room that was such a sanctuary for me.
The room where 3 of my babies took their first breath.
Goodbye to the stairs that laughing children rode down on a crib mattress.
Goodbye to the bedroom with the green shag carpet that all of my children shared for so many years.
Goodbye to the beautiful pink and purple room with the fairyland mural that we finished for the girls just 18 months ago.
Goodbye to the fire pit where little boys romped, little girls played with their dollies, and popcorn was scattered as we snuggled down for a family movie night.
Goodbye to the school room where we started a Grand Adventure.
Goodbye to the yard that was weeds when we moved in and became a lovely lawn, big vegetable garden, and lovely flower gardens by the time we left.
Goodbye to the plum tree that made the best plum jam we've ever tasted.
Goodbye to the little graveyard where two of our kittens were buried.
Goodbye to a place that was filled with love and laughter for 7 years.
Thankfully, we got to take the love and laughter with us.
...


That was touching. My heart is full for you, even though it happened so many months ago.
ReplyDeleteThis kinda made me cry. I'm sure it was hard to sya goodbye to a place that holds so many memories. But your right, all that is important you get to take with you.
ReplyDelete